Great Tips on How to Perform an On Site SEO Audit
Once your website is launched and you begin to publish content it is important to SEO optimize it. You should run a one-time audit to detect issues that could have an impact on your domain authority.
For example, an issue with your site’s structure or navigation could compromise visibility on search engines before you even begin. Performing an SEO audit will help you look for potential problems and get you started in the right direction.
In this article, I will provide you with a checklist and tips on how to perform an on-site SEO audit. These tips will focus on the important areas that can impact your search visibility.
Accessibility and Search Index Presence
To being you need to make sure that the website pages can be found by search engine crawlers. If not, you will not rank high and won’t receive any organic search traffic.
- Robots.TXT File: This is found in your source code. This file can stop search engine bots from crawling your entire website so it is important to configure it properly.
- Robots Meta Tags: These meta tags tell crawlers they are allowed to view a specific page. If you see a no index tag associated with the meta name robots then you are blocking that page from being viewed.
- 404S and Broken Links: Sign into Google Webmaster Tools and click on crawl then crawl errors. This will provide you with a list of site errors that the bots have encountered. You should correct these with 301 redirects.
- XML Sitemap: The XML sitemap is like a map for search engine bots. It should be uploaded to your webmaster tools account.
- Compare XML Sitemap to your Sit Crawl: You should check and see if any pages appear in one and not the other. They both should be consistent.
Improve Site Authority Factors
Part 2 of your audit should focus on whether Google can see your site as authoritative or not.
- Site Navigation: Your website should be easy to navigate. Pages and headings should be visible, vertically linked with categories and well structured. The number of clicks to get to one page should be minimal as this has a huge impact on navigation.
- Website Speed: Website speed is a major factor in domain authority. People only have an attention span of 4 seconds and if your website does not load within 4 seconds then they will leave your website. This has a huge impact on bounce rate. Use a tool like Pingdom to see how fast your site loads.
- The website should be Secure: You should upgrade the website to SSL encryption. This can give you a slight ranking boost.
- Fix Your URLs: Your website URLs should be short, contain the relevant keywords, easy to read and should not contain numbers
- Check for Broken Links: Review all the links to your website to see if they work correctly. If not remove them or fix them.
- Website Compatibility: Your website should be mobile and tablet friendly and should be compatible with all types of browsers. You can check all this in webmaster tools.
- Google Analytics: Make sure your google analytics script is installed so the data is being tracked for all your pages.
Improve Content Factors
Part 3 of your SEO audit should ensure that your content is well optimized and executed properly.
- Title Tags and Meta Tags: The titles and descriptions you include should be unique and the keywords should be relevant to your company. This will help you to improve click-through rates.
- All Pages should have Content: Make sure all the pages of your website contains a paragraph or two of content with keywords.
- Images and Multimedia Content: All images you add to your website should have alt tags or meta information so it can help your website getting indexed.
- Quality Content: You should write quality content that is valuable, easy to read, no spelling or grammatical errors because these issues can impact your site’s authority.
This detailed checklist should help you with your SEO campaign and allow you to start in the right direction. SEO requires time, patience and months of ongoing commitment in order for it to be successful. Cleaning these site errors will not fix the issue immediately or improve your DA, however, it will put you on the right track for long-term growth.