A strong product still needs an effective product launch to attract customers. Whether you decide to promote your product via email, social networks, or word-of-mouth, one of the first steps involved in designing a product launch campaign involves deciding what type of content to focus on. Best practices typically apply to things like using an email checker or finding the ideal audience for your advertisements. Regardless of platform, content plays an important role.
Marketers typically have two major choices when making this decision. They can design a campaign around one-off content or evergreen content. Neither is objectively superior to the other. Each offers its own unique set of pros and cons. To better understand which is right for your goals, it’s first important to understand the key differences between the two.
One-off content serves to associate the product launch with a relevant story, trend, seasonal interest, etc. An example of a one-off content campaign could involve a marketer promoting a new app which allows users to find and buy low-price movie tickets. The content of the product launch campaign might focus on upcoming movies customers may be interested in.
This type of campaign leverages existing enthusiasm for something (in this case, new film releases) and links that enthusiasm to the product. It’s effective at generating buzz, but its effect isn’t long-lasting.
Evergreen content is meant to remain valuable and relevant for a longer period of time than one-off content. Using the example above, an evergreen campaign might include articles highlighting, “The Best [Genre] Movies Ever Made” or, “X Most Annoying Movie Theater Behaviors.” This content is more likely to gather backlinks, which is important from an SEO perspective, but it’s generally not as effective at generating early enthusiasm as one-off content.
Choosing the Right Strategy
Again, neither one-off nor evergreen content is inherently stronger. Determining which is best for your campaign involves keeping the following points in mind:
- The Work Involved: Developing and implementing an effective one-off content campaign involves a substantial amount of work in a short period of time. You need to launch the campaign in time to correspond with the stories or trends you’re associating your product with. However, once the initial launch is complete, there will be much less work for your marketing team. The evergreen campaign doesn’t require as much initial effort, but it does involve more sustained effort over time.
- Financial Patterns: You’ll typically get more sales right away with one-off content, but more sales over the course of months and years with evergreen content. Decide between the two by taking a close look at your finances and determining whether you need a large influx of revenue now or a steady stream of revenue over time.
- Urgency: One-off content helps generate a sense of urgency. Again, this results in greater early sales. With evergreen content, sales will not be as high at first, but will likely be greater in the long run. Considering the type of product you’re launching will help you determine how to evaluate this factor. For instance, if you’re launching a consumer electronic product that is likely to be replaced by a superior model in a year or so, it may be more important to focus on generating early sales rather than trying to maintain strong and consistent sales over the course of years.
Make a point of carefully considering these factors before your next product launch. The type of content you focus on will have a major impact on the overall strength of your campaign. By making the right choice, you’re much more likely to implement a campaign that yields major benefits for your company.
- 10 Areas Covered by General Liability Insurance: Do You Know How to Protect Your Business?
- 10 Best Small Business Apps to Download
- 10 Important Things to Consider When Starting Your New Business Adventure
- 10 Questions to Ask When Choosing a Web Designer for Your Business Website
- 10 Software Tools Every Startup Should Consider
- 12 Ultimate Ways to Make Money